Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Icies

We are full swing into Texas summer.  I have a hard time keeping everyone hydrated and cool.  Recently, I found this recipe that I had to share with everyone and keep in my files.  They are quick, easy, and so refreshing on these hot summer days.  They are also easy to tweak to your personal liking.  AND the kids LOVE them!  At the moment, I can't remember the website I found them on.  I'll get back to you on that, because there is another similar recipe I wanted to try.  I call them "Icies" because I forgot the original name for them.  The kids associated them with snow-cones right away.  The original recipe is called Grape Granita and calls for grape juice, however, it is so easy to adjust with whatever juice you want!  Have fun and enjoy!  (Oh, my kids actually preferred the addition of the purple puree from sneaky chef in theirs!  Not sure it added any flavor, but did had some bits of blueberry which were oh so yummy!) 
Ingredients
  • 2 cups Grape Juice
  • ½ cups Sugar
  • 2-½ cups Cold Water
Preparation Instructions
1. Combine grape juice with sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 8 to 9 minutes, or until mixture is slightly syrupy.
2. Turn off heat and pour in cold water, then pour into a freezer-safe container with a lid.
3. Wait two hours, then remove container from freezer and stir gently, being careful to loosen any of the mixture that has stuck to the sides. Put lid back on, then return container to the freezer. Repeat an hour later, then another hour later. When you’re finished, the mixture should be totally frozen and broken up. Keep sealed tightly in the freezer until ready to serve.

Note: The slushy consistency will keep for days as long as you remember to keep breaking it up.  I have made this 3 different times now, and 2 out of the 3 times, my mommy brain has struck and I've forgotten to break up the ice after 2 hours.  No harm... just use a heavy duty spoon and scrape/break it (you may need to let it thaw a bit first).  Then go back to it in another hour.   It will still keep, it just turns out to be more work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

"Mommy, I'm hungry!" Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template