We had Liam's birthday party with his classmates this weekend. He really wanted the
chocolate ganache recipe to adorn his cupcakes, but since the kids were going to be decorating the mini cakes themselves, I convinced him that perhaps something that set up a bit softer might be easier for them to work with. I offered this recipe, since it sounded mild and creamy in flavor and texture so they could add to their masterpieces as many flavors as they wanted. It was a hit! I had also read about a little hint (now I can't remember where, so forgive me to whomever made the comment on another site) regarding coloring frosting. Rather than simply coloring your frosting the typical way, try adding color AND flavor by adding Kool-Aid. I don't typically buy Kool-Aid, but for this purpose the $0.16 was totally worth the cost of the sugar! I first used this recipe to frost the cupcakes, then decided that they were just too plain looking and wanted to dress them up. I started piping more of the white stuff (thinking that some kids may not like the blueberry flavor), and then took the rest of the frosting left and added the Kool-Aid to it. Perhaps it was a bit much flavor for what was left, as it was a bit sweet, but I think it gave a really good flavor to the blue color. And, it gave the very plain white cupcakes some color as well. Don't you agree? Which one calls to you more?

The recipe comes from the
Sweet Savory Life blog. The author is a cake decorator, so has used this recipe on wedding cakes. Her piping skills put my meek attempts to shame! (Did you notice the "twist" effect on the blue piping? I only had one decorator's bag to work with, and was too lazy to wash out the white or mix it in better or find out exactly what you are supposed to do. It's supposed to be all blue of course, but I like my mama oops! It gives it some flare!) Alice inspires the baker in me! I can only hope that my renditions of these recipes will do the same for you!
1 C butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened
3-4 C confectioners sugar, sifted
(yes, you must sift so the little clumps of sugar don't give you a clumpy frosting!)
1/2 t salt
1 T vanilla extract
up to 4 T milk or heavy cream
Directions:
Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer's paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn't blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 T of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If it needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 T at a time.
0 comments:
Post a Comment