Monday, March 8, 2010

Stuffed Crust Pizza Snacks

So, is it just me, or does the afterschool routine become so monotonous that you really need something to spice it up?  A new snack-- spare me the Goldfish please!  I was really bored with what I had to offer for snacks one day and decided to look for something new.  One of our favorite meals (which hasn't made it here yet) is homemade pizza.  I usually end up with more dough than I need for the crust, so with the leftover crust, I tried a recipe (I greatly modified) which was originally from the Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest 39 in 2000 (submitted by Ellen Hyde of Culpeper, VA). 
  • 2 cans refrigerated pizza crust (of course they are advertising Pillsbury, but any crust will do.)
  • 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 48 cubes (I just used shredded, it was a bit messier, maybe, but did the job and was what I had on hand)
  • 48 slices of pepperoni (I used lunchmeat like ham or turkey I had on hand.)
  • 1/4 C vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 t dried Italian seasoning (I didn't have any, so I used garlic powder, oregano, parsley, and some basil-- really you could use any mixture you wanted with this.  Oh, and I don't think I measured anything either. It's all a matter of what you like!)
  • 2 T grated Parmesan Cheese
  • heated pizza sauce (if you want)
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray two 9 inch pie plates or one 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray.  Unroll dough from both cans; starting at center, press out each dough rectangle to form a 12x8 inch rectangle.  Cut each rectangle into 24 squares.  
  2. Top each square with cheese cube and pepperoni slice.  Wrap dough around filling to completely cover; firmly press edges to seal.  Place seam side down with sides touching in pie pans. 
  3. In small bowl, mix oil and Italian seasoning.  Drizzle over filed dough in pans.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  4. Bake 16-22 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm pizza bites with warm pizza sauce
Note:  With the baby on the way, I don't see myself making these too often in the near future.  However, I may try to bake them off and freeze them for a quick reheatable snack!  (To reheat, I'd either pop them back in the oven, or cover with a wet towel in the microwave so they don't get so hard and chewy.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

"Mommy, I'm hungry!" Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template