I made two small loaves out of this recipe tonight, but I've been on my own, the kids are on vacation, and quite frankly, I'm out of my routine. Trying to re-work the routine actually, but in the process I've made a mess! So, long story short, I have a lovely meatloaf waiting for us for tomorrow in the frig and a second in the deep freezer. YUM! The kids love meatloaf. I love meatloaf for all of the healthy additions I can stick in without anyone even noticing! Ever tried pureed carrots or pumpkin or any other puree in the meatloaf for that matter? This recipe is delicious! I don't always have ground turkey on hand, so I use beef. And, really I don't go completely by the recipe anyway, as I use whatever seasonings I like. And, obviously, I like to make other additions not traditionally in a meatloaf per se. But, I do follow the process with layering the sauce (or ketchup when short), spinach and cheese...mmm haven't tried pureed veggies in the layer. I imagine that might work too. For the life of me, I can't remember where I found this recipe, and since I've now already updated my family blog by deleting all of the links I had listed. Guess I'll just have to thank the online cooking community in general for all of the yummy recipes I've been finding! They are certainly keeping us well fed!
1 can mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
fresh baby spinach
spaghetti sauce, divided
shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground beef
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 C Italian style bread crumbs
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 t salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together turkey, beef, egg, bread crumbs, mushrooms, seasoning, and salt.
- Spoon half of meat mixture onto a greased baking ban. Flatten and smooth out.
- Top with a layer of spaghetti sauce, spinach leaves, and shredded cheese.
- Top with remaining meat, flatten again and then go around the edges and seal, pulling in the loaf away from sides of the pan.
- Spread some more spaghetti sauce on top and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for about an hour or until meat registers at 170 degrees.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
0 comments:
Post a Comment