Monday, March 15, 2010

Multigrain Pancakes

I tend to get made fun of for my pancakes.  Not by my kids, but by my loving husband.  He eats them, but claims they are too thick to be called pancakes.  Forgive me for not making the flapjacks you'll find in most restaurants.  For those who know me, you know I am going to cram as much nutrition into every bite I can.  Nutrient dense foods are the only way to go.  You never know what the kids will choose to eat sometimes.  So, I intend to make the most of each bite.  Besides, I think they taste better too.  We all benefit from it!  Pancakes are just one example where I have shunned the mixes in order to add my own healthier (okay, fiber rich) ingredients.  We use pancakes for both breakfast and dinner (when we have breakfast for dinner nights).  I usually couple them with heated frozen fruit that I mash up a bit as an alternative to maple syrup.  Once in a while, the kids will go for it.  If I know the fruit "syrup" will be a harder sell, I will also serve fresh fruit as a tray so there are many choices from which to choose.  They will ALWAYS go for that!

Before the pumpkin pancakes (which has finally given me a way to get some vitamin A sources back into the baby diet again) this was my favorite pancake recipe.  It's time to preserve it, as the printout I have is getting harder and harder to read!  I found it, once again, on allrecipes.com.
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons granular no-calorie sucralose sweetener (e.g., Splenda ®)--(I use regular sugar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 egg whites-- (I use one whole egg)
  • 2 tablespoons plain nonfat yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons skim milk
  • 2 tablespoons water
  1. In a medium bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, cornmeal, sweetener, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, milk and water. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until moistened.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 cup of batter per pancake onto the skillet. Cook until bubbles begin to form in the center, then flip and cook until browned on the other side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

"Mommy, I'm hungry!" Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template