- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef, browned
- 14 1/2 oz can rotel
- 10 3/4 oz can cream of onion soup
- 1 pkg dry taco seasoning
- 1/4 c water
- 6 corn tortillas cut into 1/2" strips
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
1. Combine beef, tomatoes (rotel), soup, seasoning, and water in slow cooker.
2. Stir in tortilla strips.
3. Cover. Cook on low 7-8 hours.
4. Spread sour cream over casserole. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Cover. Let stand 5 minutes until cheese melts.
**My modifications:
- I added one diced onion to the beef while it was browning.
- I had to add vegetables to the mix, or I have no chance for the kids to eat any! Add about 2C chopped fresh baby spinach (although frozen would likely work too), 1 1/2C frozen corn, 1 can Ranch style beans with liquid (or you could use any canned bean drained is preferable, this was just the only beans I had on hand, and what's ranch style beans without the liquid?)
- I added an additional 2 corn tortillas-- maybe to soak up the additional liquid I had just put in?
- I can never find cream of onion soup, so I substituted cream of mushroom. (Also the reason for the added onion with the beef.)
- I didn't the last time I made this, but you could also substitute the taco seasoning for about for 1 lb of beef, you can try 1.5 Tbs chili powder and 2 tsp each of the paprika and cumin. (a little tip I learned from Pioneer Woman's blog) It will significantly help at reducing the amount of sodium in this dish.

0 comments:
Post a Comment