Saturday, March 20, 2010

Irish Soda Bread

Ahhhh yum!  We did end up having a St. Patrick's Day feast, even if it was a day late!  To go along with the corned beef and cabbage, I made this soda bread.  The kids liked it and gobbled it up, but I think there are better recipes out there.  Until next time, I'll record this recipe here, but it may be updated with a better one next year!  Once again, Mom sent this recipe to me because someone had made it for work (she sends me all of her favorites other people make)!  The recipe was in an article (I'm not sure which magazine.)  In the description, however, there is a link for www.spatulatta.com

5 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
5 t baking powder
1 stick butter-- softened
1 1/4 C raisins
2 eggs
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 to 2 C buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix the flour, soda, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
3. Unwrap the butter and set the wrapper aside to use when greasing the cookie sheet.  Mix the butter in with a spoon.
4. Add the raisins, eggs and sugar.  Mix ingredients in well.  At a certain point, you'll have to start using your hand.  Scoop the dry ingredients up from the bottom of the bowl and gently push into the dough using your closed fist.
5. Next add the buttermilk in a little at a time.  This is a good two-person job (although not required).  One person mixes the dough while the other slowly pours the buttermilk.  Stop when the dough becomes sticky.  Take the dough out of the bowl and put it on the board sprinkled with flour.
6. Knead the dough 10 times.
7. Cut the dough in half and shape it into 2 round loaves.
8. Use the butter wrapper to put a thin layer of butter on the cookie sheet.  Place the dough on the greased cookie sheet.
9. Score the top of the bread across the middle one way, then across the other way.
10. Put the bread into the oven and bake 45 to 60 minutes or until the bread is a nice nutty brown.
11. Bread is done when a skewer or knife comes out clean.
12. Cool slightly before serving.  Serves 12.

Note:  Although the directions look long and complicated (I typically ignore recipes with more than 4-5 instructions), this recipe was quite easy to do.  So, don't be afraid of it!  Also, I think the way it was made was backwards from the way I'm used to making bread, but it worked, and really wasn't near as messy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

"Mommy, I'm hungry!" Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template